Monday, May 26, 2008

Wedding in Vernazza

May 24, 2008 while enjoying my favorite lunch here, bruchutto y melone (I have no idea if I spelled that right) the bells of the church began to ring in celebratory notes and then the wedding part appeared from the church around the corner from the restaurant on the Vernazza marina where I was eating. Meals here are not lonely even though I am traveling alone, tables are close and people just talk to each other in whatever language they can find works. Today a friendly Norwegian couple sat with a German couple that they said were the luckiest Germans alive. When I asked why, I was told they won the German 1 million euro lottery, and so purchased a home high on a hill here in Vernazza. They had invited the Norwegian couple for a visit. Behind me a Canadian couple jokes with the funny old waiter who tells them that this may be the groom's best day, or worst day of the rest of his life! Susan, remember the funny and cranky old guy who was the waiter at the restaurant with the colorful umbrellas? Same guy, still here.

No comments: