Saturday, March 13, 2010

NEW PAINTNG "Balinese Market"

Balinese Market

Myrna Wacknov  is a very innovative artist who is always experimenting.  If there is a new "toy" out there you can bet Myrna will be one of the first to try it.  She has a wonderful loose drawing style, and I noticed on her blog, "Creative Journey" www.mynawacknov.blogspot.com that she mentioned a new "brush pen" she was using.   I asked her about it, and it turns out is made by Pentel, has a brush tip, and comes with two cartridges of permanent black ink.  I found it at University Art Center on J Street in Sacramento.   Alas, my drawing style will probably never be as loose as Myrna's, but I really enjoyed using the brush pen to create this little painting.

"Balinese Market" is an ink and watercolor painting, 6' x 6" framed in a floating mat style that is hanging in the new GO FIGURE! show at Elliott Fouts Gallery 4749 J Street, Sacramento, California.  The Second Saturday opening reception is this evening from 6:00 - 9:00pm.  It is a group show so the reception will be fun with many artists in attendance, some showing at the Fouts gallery for the first time.

Bali is the most colorful country I have ever visited, and no where is the color more evident that in its markets.  The Balinese are known for their beautiful batik fabrics and sarongs.  Add the vast variety of colorful fruit and spices, beautiful temple offerings and flower arrangements and you have the most colorful scene anywhere.  

As much as I love to draw and paint scenes that I encounter when I travel, it is not always practical to work on site.  In this case it would take too long to capture in ink and watercolor all the detail of this busy market scene as it was happening, so I had to be content to take a tun of photographs to paint from in my studio.  The early morning market starts before dawn and is over by 9:00am so there is not much daylight.  It is crammed into a small space between buildings, and  so busy I would probably have been run over by a motor scooter or lady with a pile of baskets on her head had I tried to paint there. 

I have traveled to Bali 3 times, my last trip was 2007.  I am still painting from my many colorful photos of this mystical island.

1 comment:

Myrna Wacknov said...

Great job with the detail! I wish I could make it to the gallery to see the work in person. Thanks for mentioning me in your blog. I am delighted you are enjoying the pen. Next is a coffee stirrer!