Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Rooster by Homer Rail on Aquabord



"Rooster" by Homer Rail of Placerville California

I recently taught 3 Aquabord Classes where students learned techniques for painting watercolors on Aquabord. Aquabord is a clay surface on hardboard created for water media. Once it is painted you spray it with Acrylic Gloss Varnish (I us Golden) and the painting does not need to be framed under glass.

The students chose their subjects, and designed their compositions so the variety of paintings was great fun for me to see. The class was only 4 hours, enough to get everyone going on the Aquabord, but only a couple of students actually finished their paintings. I asked them all to email a photo of their completed paintings so I could see them when they were done. This is the first photo I have received.


Homer's subject was perfect for Aquabord which has a tendency toward vibrant bold colors. This rooster is really strutting his stuff and Homer did a terrific job of using the clay surface to create the bright feathers, he put the color down boldly and lifted where needed to model the feathers and shape the rooster. I like the subtle shadow and grass too. Great job Homer!

OK, now where are the photos from the rest of you???????

Seven people have requested that I teach another of these Aquabord afternoon classes this summer, so I have scheduled one for Saturday July 18 at University Art Center in Sacramento from 1:00pm to 5:00pm. Please contact me (not University Art Center) if you wish to enroll in that class.

No comments: