Monday, April 13, 2009

Iris Painting in Progress

April is a beautiful time here in the foothills; so many flowers, shrubs and trees are in bloom. I don't think a single April has gone by in the last 15 years that I did not paint at least one painting of an iris.

I posted this painting in progress because I wanted to remind my students that this week is the "PAINTING WATERCOLORS BACKWARDS" class where our subject is Iris. So what is so backwards about this painting?

Traditionally watercolors are painted by starting with the light values, and working in layers to achieve the dark values. In the technique I am applying here, I start with the dark values. Then I work backwards, towards the mid and light values using various lifting methods. Its really fun, and makes you pay attention to values. This painting is on Aquabord and will be part of my demonstration; but I will also be demonstrating on stretched 140 lb Arches ROUGH watercolor paper.

There is space in Thursdays (April 16) class which meets from 1:00pm - 5:00pm at the Sacramento Fine Art Center, located at 5330-B Gibbons Drive in Carmichael, California. Call me at (916) 652-4624 to sign up and learn what you need to bring to class. Fee $40.00.

No comments: