Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Maui - an artist's paradise



In January I took a trip to Maui to teach a couple of workshops. I love the "Aloha Spirit" of the islands and enjoy visiting my friends who live on the island. The subject of both workshops was techniques for painting watercolors on Aquabord. Maui is an artist's paradise because everywhere you look there is a painting. Here is my Aquabord demo I created from a vase of freshly picked flowers I found awaiting me when I arrived at the Teacher's Cottage at the Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center.
While on the island my friends treated me to a very exciting experience...whale watching from their boat. I have always wanted to do this, and we were lucky to be out on a day when the whales were playful and abundant. I was trying out my new SLR camera's telephoto lens and discovered very quickly that catching the shot before the whale disappears below the water is very difficult! Most of my photos were of blank ocean! Here is the best one.
Mahalo to the WAWAs and the staff at the Hui No'eau Visual Arts Center for making my trip to Maui so wonderful. Hope to see you soon.

No comments: